Living Away from Mum and Dad

Living with Another Family

If you are under 16, or under 18 with a disability, and live with another adult who looks after you other than your parents then this is called private fostering.

The adult won’t be a relative, but may be a family friend or neighbour; your Mum and Dad may have agreed that they will look after you and may even give them some money to do so.

Just Like Me?

Your Mum and Dad may not be able to look after you at the moment, or you may have made the decision for yourself that you don’t want to live with them.

If you are being privately fostered, your Mum and Dad and the private foster carer will have told Children’s Services about the arrangement so that a Social Worker can support you. It is the Social Worker’s job to make sure you are properly cared for and to check if the person looking after you needs any more help. They may also keep your parents updated on how you’re doing.

If you want to see your parents, your foster carer and social worker will work together to make sure you can.

Living in Residential

When some children and young people go into care, they move away from their parents and into a residential or care home; this means that people work there whose job it is to support you. Residential units come in all different shapes and sizes and you will normally live with other young people who are also in care; you will have your own room and your own space.

Just Like Me?

People have mixed feelings about living away from their family; some children and young people will feel happy and safe, and some children and young people can be a scared and unsure about going to live away from home.

What to do if you are worried about a child

If you think a child is being abused or mistreated or you have concerns about a child’s well-being please contact one of the numbers shown on this page.

Your phone call could help to safeguard a child who may be at risk.

If the situation is immediately dangerous for the child then ring 999 and ask for the Police.

If the child is not in immediate danger contact:

Children's Hub

  • Monday to Friday during office hours - 0161 342 4101
  • Monday to Friday outside office hours and weekends and public holidays – 0161 342 2222
  • GM Procedures Manual
  • Safeguarding concerns can be reported to the Children's Hub using the Online Electronic Referral form